I Don’t Have a Union. Is My Condition Serious?
Working non-union can be the biggest public health challenge facing nurses and other health care professionals.
Here are some symptoms of working without a union:
- Chronic understaffing & unsafe workloads
- No voice in patient care decisions
- Low wages, increases small and unpredictable, arbitrary "merit" pay
- Benefit cuts
- I'm floated to units where I don’t have expertise
- I feel like my license is in constant danger
- I'm pressured to clock out and work through breaks and lunches
- Discipline is arbitrary and unfair, with no recourse
- Management plays favorites
- Low morale, high turnover
When you join together as a team, you gain the legal right to stand up and speak out, without fear, for your patients and yourselves.
You will have the strength in numbers to negotiate a strong contract—a legally-binding document that management must follow.
Here’s what it can be like to work with a union and a contract:
- Management held accountable to safe staffing ratios
- Nurses and health care professionals protected to advocate for patients
- Safe floating rules guaranteed
- Guaranteed breaks and lunches, with resource nurse to cover
- Regular, guaranteed wage increases, with wage grids that reward experience
- Good benefits, guaranteed by contract
- Money and time off to continue your education
- Higher morale, low turnover
See for yourself what UNAC/UHCP has won for patients, nurses and health care professionals—and how we did it.
Who Should Join?
UNAC/UHCP represents over 28,000 registered nurses and other health care professionals, including optometrists; pharmacists; physical, occupational and speech therapists; case managers; nurse midwives; social workers; clinical lab scientists; physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
If you belong to one of these or another closely related health care profession, reach out to see how UNAC/UHCP can help you improve patient care by winning a voice in your work place.
How Can I Get a Union Too?
You probably have a lot more questions about what's involved in joining a union like UNAC/UHCP.
We can answer your questions and help you strategize on how to win a voice for you and your coworkers.
- Email Organize@unacuhcp.org
- Call (909) 451-0596