How the Affordable Care Act is Helping Patients Now
While the new health reform law, the Affordable Care Act, is being implemented gradually, there are some important improvements already in effect for patients. The following information can help UNAC/UHCP members and our patients understand the features of the laws.
* Parents may now keep their adult children on their health plans until their child turns 26.
* Medicare now provides patients with free preventive care, such as cancer screenings, and a free annual prevention check-up.
* Private health plans may no longer charge co-payments and deductibles for most preventive services.
* Health plans are prohibited from dropping people from coverage when they get sick.
* Health plans may no longer place lifetime limits on the amount of services they will pay for, and there are restrictions on the use of annual payment limits.
* The Affordable Care Act now requires insurance companies to spend more of the premiums they collect on health care services. This will help bring our premiums down over time.
* Many small business owners are eligible for tax credits to help them purchase health coverage.